Principles for the management of patients who develop inhibitors have been developed by a multidisciplinary group of health professionals and patients under the auspices of EAHAD and the European Haemophilia Consortium.
The document, which emphasises the importance of a centralised, holistic approach, includes ten statements:
1. Awareness of the incidence of inhibitors and risk factors throughout life
2. Early recognition and accurate diagnosis
3. Optimal organization of care and communication between all stakeholders
4. Haemostatic treatment with bypassing agents in inhibitor patients
5. Inhibitor eradication by immune tolerance induction (ITI) therapy
6. Access to, and optimal preparation for, surgery and other invasive procedures
7. Provision of specialist nursing care
8. Provision of tailored physiotherapy care and monitoring
9. Access to psychosocial support
10. Involvement in research and innovation
The full paper is available free online at http://eahad.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/EPIM_Published-version.pdf.